This recipe from Jamie Oliver is a great way to use a glut of young courgettes, and makes a really tasty meal.
Ingredients (serves 2)
5 slices of bacon
2 small courgettes per person
1 tsp Thyme
Ground black pepper
1 egg yolk per person
150g penne pasta
Handful grated parmesan cheese
25ml cream/yoghurt/crème fraiche per person
- Quarter the courgettes and remove the pith from the middle. Then slice the courgettes into strips about the size of the penne pasta.
- Cut the bacon into chunks and fry in olive oil until the bacon begins to turn crispy brown at the edges.
- Add the courgettes and the pinch of ground black pepper and some of the prepared thyme and basil. Cook gently.
- In the meantime add the penne to salted water and cook until al-dente
- To make the carbonara sauce mix the eggs with the grated cheese and cream/yoghurt/crème fraciche
- When the pasta has cooked add it to the courgettes in the pan. Don’t drain the pasta but use a colander ladle.
- Remove the courgettes/pasta from the heat and allow to cool for a moment or two. Then stir in the Carbonara sauce and mix. If you stir in the Carbonara whilst still on the heat the egg will turn to scrambled eggs.
- Add a sprinkling of thyme and a dash of olive oil and mix.
- Serve immediately onto warm plates